Sunday 13 March 2011

Exercise: Object in different positions in the frame

In this exercise I look at the impact of the position of an object in the frame. I have presented the images captured in order of preference, with my favourite image at the top. As the images become more uncomfortable, awkward and less desirable I have described why I feel this is the case.

MIDDLE LEFT

In this image the subject is prominent and ones eye is drawn immediately to it. The placement of the subject lends a balanced and comfortable feel to the image. There is enough mass to the background such that even with its lack of interest the background is able to balance out the image with its extremely prominent subject.

MIDDLE

This image feels comfortable and balanced. However, this image feels somehow static and lacking in design. Ones eye is drawn immediately to the centre of the frame and there is no movement from there. I do feel this is a successful image. However, this image is less enjoyable to me than the first.

TOP LEFT

This image feels awkward. The subject is in a corner and so the background has a great deal of mass to it and in my view takes on too much importance in the composition. The background somehow overpowers the subject and the image feels unbalanced. I do feel this image is dynamic and exciting, even more so than the first image. However, the balance in the first image is more attractive to me than the movement and dynamic nature of this image.

FAR LEFT

As in the previous image the background overpowers the subject and the image is unbalanced.


I am finding it very difficult to articulate why I find this image less pleasing than the previous images. At first inspection this image should have been second in my order of preference. However something about it just does not work for me. I think this might be because the subject is slightly too close to the centre and therefore there is enough mass to the water on the left side such that the image becomes unbalanced and awkward without the dynamic nature of the previous two images to help it.


This image feels unbalanced and gives me a sense of claustrophobia. The subject is overpowered from above, below and to the right. It seems the subject is being pushed up against the left side of the frame and has nowhere to run. This composition could be of value in a scene where the photographer wants to project claustrophobia or awkwardness. In this scene this was not my intention and the image does not work.


My comments relating to this image are exactly as for the previous image. There is a sense of claustrophobia, imbalance and awkwardness in this image.

This exercise was valuable in helping me to understand the concept of balance better. In addition to this I can see that there will be times when I can use an awkward composition to support an image and emphasise the emotion being conveyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment