Sunday 5 June 2011

Calibrating My Computer Monitor

I went out to shoot for some more exercises today but the incessant rain drove me in to a fantastic camera shop by the name of Park Cameras. This place has a large internet based business so the prices are always keen. I ended up buying a device to calibrate my computer monitor. The difference post calibration is really quite astounding. My images which I have dutifully been processing in Lightroom and underexposing a little as they seemed too bright all look too dark now.

I am not going to go back and edit photographs I have already submitted. However, there should be a big difference in future uploads. I am guessing that on uncalibrated pictures my future pictures will look too bright. However, I will be happy in the knowledge that my prints will come out as they look on my screen.

2 comments:

  1. What calibration product did you buy Amir?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am using the Spyder 3 Elite. I chose the Elite because it has the ability help you set luminance while the pro and express versions do not. The hardware in all three versions is actually the same and many people buy the cheapest one and then buy some other software (I forget it's name) which is compatible with this puck. Recommend you do it though. I realise now that with my old monitor I was actually underexposing all of my shots in post processing by anywhere from 1/3 to just over a full stop.

    ReplyDelete