Sunday 12 June 2011

Exercise: Focal lengths

In this exercise I explored the effect of the field of view when the focal length is changed. My camera was mounted on a tripod and I attached my 70-200 telephoto zoom lens to it. Starting with the lens set to 200mm I took a series of images reducing the focal length of the lens for each shot. When I reached the minimum focal length of the lens I replaced it with my 17-55mm lens, being careful not to move my camera during the process. I then repeated the process with this lens.  My results are shown below.

Focal length: 200mm
Focal length: 165mm
Focal length: 127mm
Focal length: 93mm
Focal length: 75mm
Focal length: 55mm
Focal length: 46mm
Focal length: 35mm
Focal length: 23mm
Focal length 23mm, cropped to have similar field of view as 200mm
I observed that as the focal length was reduced the field of view was increased. I noticed that the centre of the wide angle image shot at 23mm is simply a reduced version of the image taken at 200mm. I have shown this by cropping out the centre of the 23mm image and placing it above.

No comments:

Post a Comment