Monday 13 June 2011

Exercise: Balance

In this exercise I identified the dominant parts of a sample of my images. I noted these dominant parts by drawing rectangles around them. Following this I explored the balance in the photographs by looking at the rectangles on scales. The results of this exercise are below.


While this picture of my daughters playing in their paddling pool seems unbalanced I still feel it works well. The eye goes from my daughter in the foreground diagonally to my daughter in the background who occupies less of the space. This movement gives a dynamic nature to the picture.


This photograph of a skateboarder in mid-air is well balanced in my opinion. The skater himself is centrally placed. The large column to his right is balanced by the much smaller dark coloured area to his right. I feel the dark colour adds weight to that area so a much smaller area is required to balance the large column to the left of the skateboarder.


The more central placement of the houses of parliament helps to balance out the larger area covered by Big Ben and the railing on the bridge.


In the portrait above my brother is centrally placed and my daughters are placed on either side of him symmetrically. The picture is therefore balanced.


This photography of the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin is completely symmetrical and in my opinion is perfectly balanced.


My daughter forms one element in this composition and is clearly one dominant part of the image. However, I feel the mass of the backdrop also forms a point of interest. While my daughter is much more dominant than the background, the greater area of the background helps to balance out this image.

I found during this exercise that when there were very few dominant components on a simple background that the dominant components were very easy to identify. However, in more complex images such as that of the skateboarder it was much harder to identify the dominant components within the image.

In this exercise I have learned that I have tended to have a good sense of balance in my images. However, balance is not completely necessary to create a good image as is shown in the picture of my daughters in their paddling pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment